Inside battle machines
Science, Technology & History
Fighter Planes tells how fighter aircraft were first deployed in World War I, which led on to the era of such ground-breaking designs as the Spitfire, Messerschmitt and Mustang of World War II. We look closely at the evolution of jet, VTOL and stealth fighters, right up to the Apache attack helicopter and the state-of-the-art supersonic fighter, the F-35 Raptor.
• Engaging subject that appeals to boys.
• Explains the engineering and technology of powerful machines.
• Bite-sized chunks of information, clear, cutaway artworks and realistic illustrations of machines.
• Places the machines in their historical context.
• Designed to engage the most reluctant reader.
afterburners; Battle of Britain; Boeing; dogfights; ejector seat; fighter pilots; Fokker; g-suit; helicopters; jet engine; Lockheed; Messerschmitt; Mustang; Sopwith; Spitfire; Wright Flyer