Meet the aircraft powered only by the Sun, wind, thermals – or the pilot’s muscles! There’s the Gossamer Albatross or Daedalus 88 – great for cyclists – plus gliders, hang gliders, a mighty solar-powered plane, and gigantic airships of the future. These ‘green’ machines are also the stars of amazing records: highest flight (in a balloon), longest pedal-powered flight, highest freefall and much more...
Science & Technology
• High interest subject with a special focus on cutting-edge aircraft design.
• Brings together historic, record- breaking feats of piloted flight.
• Text presented in neat nuggets along with simple technical diagrams to explain aircraft engineering.
• Superb and inspiring photography
• Designed to engage the most reluctant reader
Parachutes; wing suits; hang gliders; solar power; cabon fibre; fuselage; hot-air balloon; solar flight; airship